Thursday, August 1, 2013

11/22/63 (Stephen King)

I resisted reading this for a long time,  because I don't like horror and that's what I associate with King. A good friend who knows I don't like horror, and knows I do like SF and time travel novels, kept assuring me I would like this one, so I finally took her up on it, and she was right. You can't read an 842-page book in one gulp, but I tried. The hero gets drawn into a very complex time-travel situation with the aim of preventing the assassination of JFK (on 11/22/63, of course). He has to struggle against many problems, because it turns out the past doesn't want to be changed, and along the way he becomes involved in the lives of many people, some deeply evil and some heartbreakingly good. Is he successful? I will say he is, but not at all in the way he hoped to be. I'm glad I finally gave King a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment