Thursday, August 15, 2013

The Man of Maybe Half-a-Dozen Faces (Ray Vukcevich)

This is a standard detective story. The hardboiled detective with relationship issues and an addiction that leads to blackouts, the lovely woman who comes in to beg for his help, the touchy interaction with the cops, the killer who has to be stopped before he kills again -- all there. Only the detective is an individual with multiple personalities, and his addiction is to tap dancing, and the killer - well, I won't reveal too much. This story is several degrees out of kilter, and it is a zany, rollicking ride. I really enjoyed it, though from time to time the roller coaster lost me. I always got back on, and if the ending was a little contrived, still it lived up to the rest of the book (including an email to one character we never actually met, asking what it was like to be a loose end). It wasn't flawless, but the story was so much fun I forgave the problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment