Saturday, July 27, 2013

Blood Maidens (Barbara Hambly)

I love Barbara Hambly's writing - so richly evocative of character and setting. I love these characters and this story, and have since the first in this series (Those Who Hunt the Night). I may be overdosing on them, though, because the formula is getting just a little old. The ancient and honorable merciless killer vampire Ysidro needs the help of the ex-spy James and his fiercely competent wife Lydia to solve a problem that requires someone who can go about in the daytime. The problem, again, involves a possible joining of forces between vampires and the political/military leaders of a country inimical to England, so James feels he must help and Lydia has to support him. Again, James and Lydia are separated in space and in time (because there is no quick communication in pre-WWI Europe), each trying to help and protect the other. I still loved it, and I'm planning to read the next one, but I hope the plot changes more this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment