Saturday, August 3, 2013

The Baker Street Letters (Michael Robertson)

This mystery has a charming premise - that anyone who has a lease at 221B Baker Street in London is required by the lease agreement to receive and respond to letters people send there addressed to Sherlock Holmes. This story is about a young lawyer who has taken such a lease. His brother, a rather flighty ne'er-do-well, is in charge of answering these letters, and he discovers one that makes him concerned. The brother winds up traveling to the US to follow up, leaving behind a murder victim, and the lawyer and his actress girl friend follow him in an attempt to clear him of murder charges. There are other murders, a young woman with a missing father and a large dog, a subway being built under LA where explosions are happening, and it all is tied to that original letter to Holmes. There is a lot here that's charming, but it didn't work for me. I'm not one of those who prides myself on figuring out the mystery before the reveal - I'd rather just enjoy the ride - but several times I got there ahead of the author. The story was slight and the occasional inconsistencies annoyed me (like the English cell phone that doesn't work in the US, except when it does). I don't plan to read the rest of the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment