Sunday, July 17, 2011

Heir Apparent (Vivian Vande Velde)

I seem to have been on a YA book kick lately! I can't remember why this book landed on my list, but I did enjoy it for what it is--a decent example of the species. A teenage girl goes in for an hour of virtual reality game play, in a typical Medieval setting, with princes, barbarians, wizards, ghosts, and dragons. The gaming center is attacked by a citizens' group against fantasy as dangerous to the proper upbringing of children, and the equipment is damaged. They can't pull her out without injuring her; the only way she can safely exit is by winning the game. The plot reminds me of the constant problems with the holodeck on the Enterprise! Naturally, she figures out a solution to the game and emerges successfully in the nick of time. Charming and fun, at a YA level. I'm ready for something grown up now!

No comments:

Post a Comment