Sunday, January 9, 2011

Revelation Space (Alastair Reynolds)

This well-regarded SF novel didn't work for me. After 50 pages I had no idea what was going on, who these people were, what order events occurred in, or why I should care.
LATER: Inspired by the commentator, I returned and finished this book. It did get very much better after about 150 pages, when things started to make more sense. I began to figure out who was who and what was happening. I'm glad I finished, but have to say I didn't love it. It is really strong on the sense of awe and wonder, and the universe being a place much larger, stranger, and more dangerous than we can really comprehend. I prefer a little stronger characterization with my awe and wonder, though, giving me people I can identify with and really understand. So I give it thumbs up, but it's not my favorite.

2 comments:

  1. I felt the same way the first time I tried to read it, and gave up at about page 100. I tried again about a year later and now consider it one of my favorite SF book series of all time.

    Try again - it really starts to pick up and get good about 1/3 of the way in. The second book as fantastic, and the third is also good, but not quite as good as the first two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, dsegel. I will give it another try.

    ReplyDelete