Friday, December 18, 2015

Daring Greatly (Brené Brown)

I'm not a big fan of self-help books. This one is a good example of the category, being backed by at least qualitative research (also something I'm not a big fan of). Brown says some important things that many people need to hear, and I believe there's nothing here's that's wrong or hurtful, so I would recommend it to anyone who finds it inspiring or helpful. Her basic message is that we need to open ourselves to vulnerability in order to have healthy relationships with ourselves and with others. When we armor ourselves against vulnerability, we cut ourselves off from growth, courage, and acceptance. Each chapter of this book focuses on one area where these forces play out (e.g. parenting) or against one aspect of how we deal with these issues (e.g. the distinction between shame and guilt). I have no quarrel with Brown's message, but it didn't resonate with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment