Saturday, May 23, 2015

Faerie Tale (Raymond Feist)

Another contemporary fantasy, about a family living not too far from where I live (the story is set in Fredonia, NY) that winds up targeted by evil faerie magic. The victims include a famous author/screenwriter, his wife who was an actress before her marriage, a college-age daughter, twin 8-year-old boys, and assorted other friends and neighbors. That's one reason why I didn't love this story, though I didn't dislike it either; it wasn't focused on one main character. The story starts with the wife, drifts through various others, and at the end it's one of the boys who is the true hero. Another gripe is that the characters sometimes act as stupidly as the teen-movie heroines who go into the basement all alone at night to investigate the scary noise.  At one point a doctor told the father about all the horrible things happening to his son who had come through a very high fever with heart failure and apparent brain damage, displaying appalling behavior and EEG tracings nobody could make sense of, saying that he didn't even know how he can be alive, but if he were brain dead the chaotic brain scans would be flat -- and the father says, "Then he's all right?" I laughed out loud, which was NOT the reaction the author was going for. Finally, there were too many places where the mysterious events were described only as "indescribable," making me think of advice I read somewhere (I wish I could remember where) that you're the writer, damn it, so it's your job to describe it. These are small, niggling points, but for me they added up. Though there was a lot of atmosphere and horror, and some engaging characters, I just didn't get inside the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment