Friday, August 31, 2012

For the Win (Cory Doctorow)

I didn't hate this book, but I gave up halfway through. It is about the gold farmers in online games - people, generally poor people in developing countries, who work long hours inside the games gathering treasure or leveling-up characters so that their bosses can sell them to rich, lazy players who don't want to work for their status. In the entire book (so far anyway) there is nobody we meet who is actually playing any of these games for fun. They are all either downtrodden, oppressed workers or cruel, tyrannical bosses. I know the book was written for a young-adult market, but even so this level of oversimplification was too much for me. That's not even to mention the frequent lengthy passages lecturing on economics, in the world and in the games. It is all one big sermon on the importance of unions, which is appropriate for Labor Day Weekend, I guess, but I've had enough now.

No comments:

Post a Comment