Friday, April 29, 2011

The Learners (Chip Kidd)

Kidd is a famous graphic designer, and the book is a festival of graphic design, much of which I found irritating. What's the point of splitting the disclaimer in half down the middle and separating the two halves by a page? You've just made it a chore to read, and if you think nobody reads it then it's just an exercise with no purpose. I also found the characters a little overblown, as though trying too hard to be dramatic and special. But as a psychologist I was very interested in the inside details of the Milgram study (NOT an experiment!). Still, though most participants were stressed, my recollection was that severe psychological reactions didn't occur - certainly, nobody committed suicide as a result. All in all I'm glad I read it, but I didn't love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment